Tuesday, May 24, 2005

More filibuster

I am convinced there will still be a need for material to fill a filibuster or two. So without further ado....

Lentil Pasta Soup

olive oil
4 crushed garlic cloves
2/3 cup brown lentils
1/3 cup small pasta shapes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
vegetable broth
pepper

Cover the lentils with water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes, then lower heat and cook until tender, 20-30 minutes. Drain the lentils, rinse, and drain again.

In a soup pot, saute the crushed garlic in olive oil. Add the pasta and cilantro, stir and cook another 3 minutes. Add the lentils and broth (I like 'Better Than Bullion' brand, vegetable flavor for this soup - make up an appropriate volume for the amount of lentils and pasta; the soup should be fairly thin), and season with pepper. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt or bullion if needed. Sprinkle bowls of soup with parmesan if desired; serve with a nice bread to soak up the broth.

I adapted this recipe from the book 'Pasta pasta pasta" edited by Jane Donovan. I like it better with cilantro than Italian parsley, I always use more garlic, and I tend to use the 'dump and pour' method for measuring things, so the volume of broth is adjusted to what looks good at the time. I also just cook the lentils myself, instead of using canned.

Hope you enjoy it!

5 Comments:

Blogger roger said...

my kinda recipe! "dump and pour." LOL. i have a hard time responding to requests for my "recipes."

i got here from your comment at pharyngula asking for info on the story about chemical changes to dna that aren't mutations. we also have questions about that.

hello from your neighbors in the northwest.

10:20 AM, June 03, 2005  
Blogger Tlazolteotl said...

Hey there, dread pirate! I actually have been to your website too! I love all the bird pictures you've got up - your gardens certainly look better than my pathetic, overgrown yard - though, I do have flickers nesting just 10 yards or so from my front door, for the second year now! And there are Anna's hummingbirds about - and one of these days I have to blog about our western tiger swallowtails and the little brown bats that feed above our house in the evenings!

Hope you enjoy the soup - yes, I tend to dump and pour too - comes from being a chemist who has done a lot of column chromatography ;-). Plus, a lot of the time I look a recipe through, and if it a cuisine that I am at all familiar with, I feel free to make changes; since some of us in the house are vegetarian (or vegan), I have gotten pretty comfortable changing recipes around.

Regarding the DNA thing, I didn't realize this but have learned subsequently that DNA methylation is something that happens all the time - it is apparently a common way to turn genes on and off. So I guess there are some enzymes that do this (methylate/demethyate the various bases). I'm still not clear on how this gets passed on, but apparently this is not considered a change to the DNA as such, because the bases are still the same; usually, a DNA mutation happens when a base gets mis-transcribed.

7:14 PM, June 13, 2005  
Blogger redterriers said...

A wonderful recipe...if you like that, you simply have to try this:

ORECCHIETTE WITH LENTILS, ONIONS, AND SPINACH

1/3 cup olive oil
3 large onions (2 lb total), thinly sliced (7 cups)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 Turkish or 1/2California bay leaf
1 cup French green lentils
1 lb orecchiette, fusilli, or penne
2 (5-oz) bags baby spinach
1 1/2 oz finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (3/4 cup
plus 2 tablespoons)



Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat
until hot but not smoking, then stir in onions,
garlic, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Reduce heat to
moderately low and cook, covered, stirring
occasionally, until onions are very tender and golden,
20 to 25 minutes. Discard bay leaf.

While onions cook, cover lentils with water by 1 inch
in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan and boil over moderate
heat, covered, until lentils are just tender and most
of water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with
salt and pepper and let stand, covered, until ready to
use.

Cook pasta in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted
water until al dente. Reserve 1 cup cooking water,
then drain pasta in a colander and return pasta to
pot.

Add onions, lentils, and spinach to pasta, then toss
with just enough reserved cooking water to wilt
spinach and moisten pasta. Add cheese and salt and
pepper to taste, tossing to combine.

6:51 AM, June 23, 2005  
Blogger Tlazolteotl said...

I just happen to have green lentils in the pantry, as well as some fusili.

Tonight I'm making vegan chili for dinner (I guess I'll have to post that recipe too - everyone tells me its about the best chili they've ever had). So maybe I'll make this tomrorrow night - I'll have to stop by the store and get spinach, and maybe a batard to make garlic bread. Thanks!

3:04 PM, June 23, 2005  
Blogger Simon Langer said...

Greetings, I was reading some blogs and came across your blog. I'm quite impressed , with how it has a good feel. This is one to watch.

Regards,

how to birding

4:29 AM, May 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home