Tuesday, May 24, 2005

More filibuster

I am convinced there will still be a need for material to fill a filibuster or two. So without further ado....

Lentil Pasta Soup

olive oil
4 crushed garlic cloves
2/3 cup brown lentils
1/3 cup small pasta shapes
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
vegetable broth
pepper

Cover the lentils with water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes, then lower heat and cook until tender, 20-30 minutes. Drain the lentils, rinse, and drain again.

In a soup pot, saute the crushed garlic in olive oil. Add the pasta and cilantro, stir and cook another 3 minutes. Add the lentils and broth (I like 'Better Than Bullion' brand, vegetable flavor for this soup - make up an appropriate volume for the amount of lentils and pasta; the soup should be fairly thin), and season with pepper. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt or bullion if needed. Sprinkle bowls of soup with parmesan if desired; serve with a nice bread to soak up the broth.

I adapted this recipe from the book 'Pasta pasta pasta" edited by Jane Donovan. I like it better with cilantro than Italian parsley, I always use more garlic, and I tend to use the 'dump and pour' method for measuring things, so the volume of broth is adjusted to what looks good at the time. I also just cook the lentils myself, instead of using canned.

Hope you enjoy it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tlazolteotl said...

Hey there, dread pirate! I actually have been to your website too! I love all the bird pictures you've got up - your gardens certainly look better than my pathetic, overgrown yard - though, I do have flickers nesting just 10 yards or so from my front door, for the second year now! And there are Anna's hummingbirds about - and one of these days I have to blog about our western tiger swallowtails and the little brown bats that feed above our house in the evenings!

Hope you enjoy the soup - yes, I tend to dump and pour too - comes from being a chemist who has done a lot of column chromatography ;-). Plus, a lot of the time I look a recipe through, and if it a cuisine that I am at all familiar with, I feel free to make changes; since some of us in the house are vegetarian (or vegan), I have gotten pretty comfortable changing recipes around.

Regarding the DNA thing, I didn't realize this but have learned subsequently that DNA methylation is something that happens all the time - it is apparently a common way to turn genes on and off. So I guess there are some enzymes that do this (methylate/demethyate the various bases). I'm still not clear on how this gets passed on, but apparently this is not considered a change to the DNA as such, because the bases are still the same; usually, a DNA mutation happens when a base gets mis-transcribed.

7:14 PM, June 13, 2005  
Blogger Tlazolteotl said...

I just happen to have green lentils in the pantry, as well as some fusili.

Tonight I'm making vegan chili for dinner (I guess I'll have to post that recipe too - everyone tells me its about the best chili they've ever had). So maybe I'll make this tomrorrow night - I'll have to stop by the store and get spinach, and maybe a batard to make garlic bread. Thanks!

3:04 PM, June 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home