Thursday, November 16, 2006

Friday bird blogging: Koga

(I know it isn't Friday quite yet, but bear with me).

This is Koga. She is a wild-caught African Grey parrot, of the timneh subspecies. She is quite interested in the camera, now that I've turned off the flash.

















Here is Koga more at ease:



She is at least in her early 20s, but she has lived with us since April of 1991.





























I accidentally set the camera to black-and-white, and got this picture of Koga. We were told that Koga is the Cherokee word for "crow," and she does resemble one a little, except for the maroon tail and the parrot beak. Watch out!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love African Greys.
My wife's friend got one from a fraternity. You can guess what sort of words he knew.
A realtor came over to the woman's house and was looking at the bird when it said, quite plainly, "Whore"
Heh.
Oh, Al the bird also used to call out the daughter's name each morning. "Sarah!!"

5:01 PM, November 17, 2006  
Blogger Tlazolteotl said...

Koga doesn't talk much, actually, but my other greys do (I'll be blogging about them too, as I get some good photos). And yes, they do tend to pick up bad language. I think it probably sounds a lot more exiting than the other things we say. They seem to know, just like toddlers.

My Congo grey says something that sounds a lot like "f*ck it!" though I'm not positive that's what she's trying to imitate. She also calls the dog (who died about 4 years ago), and says lots of other interesting stuff as well.

Thanks for visiting - check back and I'll blog about the other birds as I can.

7:54 PM, November 17, 2006  
Blogger Justin said...

Hey, you are so sweet just like my African Grey parrot Betty!! And hey you too can check out my post on my avian companion . I hope u'll like it..

take care
bye.

11:38 PM, November 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home