Friday, April 29, 2005

Day of the Tiger

Today is the release day for Mac OS 10.4, otherwise known as Tiger. I was on the Apple web page the other day, looking at new features. Spotlight might be nice, though I have a pretty organized filing system on my disk.Dashboard, though it probably has some nice doo-dads, really just looks like so many X-Windows mini apps.

The thing that caught my interest was Automator. As someone who really wants to use AppleScript (and I do have a few scripts that I do use), I just wish it was more user-friendly, especially to generalize scripts so they can be called from within another program (specifically, FileMaker) - on any old Mac, not just my Mac (because I am developing in a multi-user environment - as much as I might like to at times, I can't disregard my other users!).

So....it looks intriguing enough to take a chance on, though I will probably wait for 10.4.1. Do I think I'll get it at work? Ha ha! Maybe if I get it at home and can make Automator do some real tricks, I could talk my boss into it. After all, I did get FileMaker 7 before nearly anybody else at work....and that turned out rather well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tlazolteotl said...

I will! I am still seriously considering upgrading my iBook when 10.4.1 is released (to give them time to iron out the first bugs), and will be following what others have to say pro and con over at MacIntouch.

8:14 PM, May 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home